State Treasurer Mark Gordon attending Wyoming Taxpayer Association's weekly Toasts & Taxes meeting
Both houses voted on their respective versions of the 2019-2020 budget bills on Friday and will begin work next week to resolve differences. Currently, both chambers are proposing a $2.9 billion appropriation for the next biennium, with the spread between the two houses currently profiled at $6.4 million.
After debating numerous amendments on the second and third reading this week, the House and Senate ended the week differing significantly on respective plans to cut K-12 spending and standing firm against further attempts to increase taxes. The House adopted Substitute No. 1 for HB 0140 School finance amendments-4 that proposes to reduce spending from the School Foundation Program by $19.8 million for FY 2019-2020 and an additional $13.8 million in FY 2021. The Senate version, SF0117 School finance amendments-3, proposes to decrease education funding by $76.2 million for FY 2019-2020, and an additional $38.6 million in FY 2021.
An attempt to insert an increase in the allowable markup on the State's sale of alcohol as a second reading budget amendment failed late Wednesday. An earlier attempt to increase the allowable markup, HB44, failed on introduction, along with a plethora of other tax-related bills. Attempts at downsizing the State's transportation fleet, both air and automobile, failed, as well.
The Legislature will be taking Monday off for a mid-session recess. It will reconvene on Tuesday, February 27 at 12 P.M. for the House, and 10 A.M. for the Senate.
2018 LEGISLATIVE SESSION SCHEDULE
(20-Day Schedule - Subject to Change Without Notice. Additional 3 days may be added to schedule if necessary.)
• Monday, February 26 Mid-Session Recess
• Day 11 Tuesday, February 27 Last day for 2nd Reading in House of Origin.
• Day 12 Wednesday, February 28 Last day for 3rd Reading on bills in House of Origin. [CROSS-OVER]
• Day 15 Monday, March 5 Last day for bills to be reported out of Committee in second house.
• Day 16 Tuesday, March 6 Last day for Committee of Whole on bills in second house.
• Day 17 Wednesday, March 7 Last day for 2nd Reading on bills in second house.
• Day 18 Thursday, March 8 Last day for 3rd Reading on bills in second house.
• Day 19 Friday, March 9 Concurrence on Amendments/Joint Conference Committee Reports.
• Day 20 Saturday, March 10 Joint Conference Committee Reports due to Front Desk by 2:00 p.m. Adjourn by midnight.
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday - March 12, 13 and 14 are available if necessary.
The Wyoming Taxpayer Association has been tracking bills of interest to them. You can see a breakdown of which bills and how they've fared so far in this year's session by clicking here.
July 26: Ice Cream Social With the Candidates
62th Wyoming Legislature
Convenes Feb. 12, 2018